When your baby is 6-12 months old, it is important to start getting him or her onboard with a variety of healthy foods, including:
- Different food groups. Introduce your baby to a variety of foods including fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy and proteins.
- Different colors. Encourage your baby to eat bright colored foods like green broccoli, orange sweet potato, yellow banana, red strawberries, black beans, and more!
- Different textures. Between ages 6-12 months your baby will be ready to try different food textures including smooth, chunky and soft finger foods.
But remember, your baby is still learning how to chew and swallow so be sure to watch your baby closely when he or she eats because anything could be a chocking hazard, especially foods that are small and/or hard. As a tip, you can soften foods by cooking them or pureeing them into a smoother texture.
By introducing a variety of nutritious foods now you are teaching your baby healthy eating habits that can last a lifetime. So have fun with it. You’ve got this!
And remember, talk to your child’s pediatrician or health care provider about any questions or concerns.
To learn more, check out these additional resources related to this topic:
- More bite-sized videos about introducing first foods – 1,000 Days
- Foods and Drinks to Encourage – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- When, What, and How to Introduce Solid Foods – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Starting Solid Foods – American Academy of Pediatrics’ Healthy Children