The International Coalition for Advocacy on Nutrition (ICAN) is a global network of 30+ organizations, including advocates, implementers, campaigners, and foundations, united under the goal to save and improve lives through better nutrition. The coalition works with allies to encourage governments, multilateral organizations, and donors to step up to the challenge of combating malnutrition in all its forms by 2030.
ICAN first came together shortly after the unprecedented 2013 Nutrition for Growth summit in London, at which USD $4 billion was committed to high-impact nutrition programs, with a goal to continue influencing and inspiring governments and donors to scale up funding for nutrition. ICAN has focused on mobilizing more and better resources and policies for nutrition while also holding N4G commitment makers, especially donor countries, accountable for their pledges.
The work of the coalition is predominantly focused on advocacy to donors, bilateral governments, especially the G7 donors, but also has a strong focus on key global institutions including the World Bank and other development banks, and the United Nations (UN) and related UN agencies (WHO, FAO, WFP, UNICEF). Working with and alongside the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement and SUN Civil Society Alliances, the Coalition supports a worldwide movement keeping malnutrition, in all its forms, at the top of global, regional and national agendas.
Goal: Strengthen civil society coordination and advocacy to realize the World Health Assembly (WHA) global nutrition targets by 2025, the 2025 NCD targets and the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 2.2 by 2030.
- Advocate for new and better resources for nutrition by aligning financing with proven interventions and appropriate research
- Mobilize political will to keep nutrition priorities high on global, regional and national agendas
- Hold countries and other stakeholders to account to deliver on all commitments to nutrition
- Develop and amplify coordinated messaging on global nutrition priorities to direct global discourse
- Seizing Momentum: Amplifying Nutrition at the UN Food Systems Summit (Spanish, French)
- COVID-19 and nutrition
- COVID-19 and breastfeeding: a presentation from Laurence Grummer-Strawn to ICAN April 1, 2020
- COVID-19, nutrition and vaccines
- The Lancet Series on Maternal and Child Undernutrition 2021