1,000 Days is seeking an Advocacy & Outreach Associate to support 1,000 Days’ U.S. advocacy efforts. Working at 1,000 Days will provide exposure across a range of issues, as this position will work across 1,000 Days’ key policy priorities, including nutrition, health care and paid family leave.
In particular, the Associate will be tasked with assisting the Director of U.S. Policy and Advocacy with carrying out the organization’s policy agenda with policymakers, partner organizations and other stakeholders. This includes representing the organization within coalitions as well as in meetings with Members of Congress, Administration officials and their staff. In addition, the Associate will support the organization’s grassroots advocacy efforts by helping to draft and prepare advocacy materials, assist with tracking federal legislation and regulations, attend congressional hearings and briefings and other tasks as needed.
The ideal candidate will have strong project management skills, excellent judgment, a naturally collaborative style and an ability to be responsive to and manage multiple requests and deadlines.
This a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of U.S. Policy and Advocacy.
- Prepare briefing materials, position papers and other materials that clearly articulate the organization’s position on key topics
- Research and prepare policy briefs, fact sheets, letters and other communication tools for 1,000 Days, its partners and advocates to use to educate policymakers, our 1,000 Days community and other relevant stakeholders.
- Maintain and develop relationships with key Congressional and administrative offices to build support for our policy goals.
- Partner with the 1,000 Days communications team to advance our policy agenda and help develop compelling messaging and materials for use on 1,000 Days’ media channels
- Assist with tracking federal legislation and regulations
- Prepare meeting materials and research relevant maternal and child health and nutrition policies
- Provide administrative support to the 1,000 Days U.S. team
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field of study.
- 1-2 years of experience with an advocacy or policy organization. Experience working on Capitol Hill is a plus!
- Commitment to 1,000 Days mission and goals.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills; proven ability to translate technical content into compelling communication materials for policy and grassroots audiences.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage complex work streams.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team, multi-task, set priorities, adapt to change, and solve problems in a dynamic, high-performing work environment.
- Highly adept in using Microsoft Office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Success in this role requires an ability to balance multiple projects, shift priorities to meet tight deadlines and complete tasks efficiently and with accuracy. Overall, this position requires an individual who excels at working both independently and as part of a team. A collaborative and good-natured attitude is a must.
ABOUT 1,000 DAYS
1,000 Days leads the fight to give mothers and babies in the U.S. and around the world the support they need to thrive. We work with global leaders and grassroots communities of parents to make the 1,000 days between a woman’s pregnancy and her child’s 2nd birthday a window of opportunity to build healthier, brighter futures.
HOW TO APPLY
- Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Put “Associate, U.S. Advocacy and Outreach” in the subject line
- Due to the expected volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted – No phone calls please
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
1,000 Days is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.