1,000 Days is the leading nonprofit organization working to ensure a healthy first 1,000 days for women and children everywhere. Launched in response to ground-breaking scientific evidence that identified a powerful window of opportunity from a woman’s pregnancy to a child’s 2nd birthday – when nutrition has a long-term impact on the future health and development of both children and societies – 1,000 Days drives greater action and investment to improve nutrition for women, infants and young children in the U.S. around the world.
The U.S. Government Relations Manager will play an integral role in shaping and driving 1,000 Days’ U.S. Government (USG) relations as part of its emerging efforts to educate policymakers on the importance of improving maternal, infant and young child nutrition in the U.S. He or she will work in coordination with other 1,000 Days team members and partners to develop and lead Congressional relations, legislative and appropriations strategy for key policy priorities, including federal nutrition programs such as WIC and SNAP, federal dietary guidelines, paid family leave, and health care. The U.S. Government Relations Manager will build and maintain bi-partisan relationships with key Congressional and Administrative staff, as well as partner and stakeholder groups. He or she will be strong spokesperson on and off Capitol Hill for mothers and babies and the various issues that 1,000 Days supports.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of 1,000 Days’ U.S. policy and advocacy strategy.
- Track and analyze relevant legislation and USG budget and appropriations processes and advise on congressional and Administration engagement and messaging.
- Establish and maintain contacts with Members of Congress, their personal and committee staff, and key Administration officials through outreach, one-on-one meetings, briefings and coalition meetings.
- Develop plan to cultivate bi-partisan and bi-cameral champions for our issues.
- Develop messaging, talking points, policy briefs, and other advocacy and communication materials including letters, legislative proposals and statements
- Organize congressional briefings and visits.
- Represent 1,000 Days in coalition and working group meetings, building and managing relationships with key stakeholders and coordinating activities with other advocates.
- Work closely with 1,000 Days partners and allies to educate policymakers on the Hill and in the Administration.
- Manage consultants as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, or relevant field of study required; Master’s degree preferred.
- 6+ years of relevant public policy experience.
- Strong knowledge of appropriations and legislative processes.
- Understanding of federal nutrition programs, including WIC, SNAP and CACFP. Health care policy experience is a plus.
- Experience working on Capitol Hill or in relevant USG agencies such as USDA and HHS preferred.
- Outstanding writing and communication skills.
- Strong persuasion skills and experience working within coalitions.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team, multi-task, set priorities, adapt to change, and solve problems in a dynamic, high-performing work environment.
- Highly motivated, self-starter with an energetic, entrepreneurial attitude
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Success in this role requires an ability to balance multiple projects, shift priorities to meet tight deadlines, and complete tasks efficiently and with accuracy. The ability to adapt to changing circumstances and to pitch in for the good of the team is critical to success in the role.
HOW TO APPLY
- Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Put “U.S. Government Relations Manager” in the subject line
- Due to the expected volume of interest, only candidates considered will be contacted – No phone calls please
BENEFITS AND PERKS
1,000 Days is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.